In 2013, Austin real estate soared, with substantially rising prices and decreasing inventory.
Guess what? 2014 looks to be much of the same. According to Gracy Title, Austin is expected to have a whopping 35.3% increase in population from 2010–2020, and Austin home prices are expected to appreciate by over 25% from now to 2018. Over 25%! What in your investment portfolio looks to provide that much of a return in only four years?
Whether you are a potential investor or a potential homeowner, buying homes in Austin is looking more and more attractive – especially while interest rates are still low. If you’d like to see the way Austin has progressed, we’ve created an infographic to demonstrate the changing makeup of Austin real estate prices, broken down by MLS areas. Check real estate areas for median prices, days on the market, and more.
When you’re ready to get serious about a search, we have the best resource for active home listings. Already know which neighborhood you want? Check out this directory of Austin neighborhoods to see what homes are listed as active. And, finally, here is a brief rundown of the latest Austin real estate market statistics:
- 7.5% decrease in homes for sale compared to 2/7/2013
- 20.22% decrease the homes pending sale compared to 2/7/2013
- 7.86% increase in the number of single-family homes sold
- 8.61% increase in median sold price (total dollars)
- 31.37% decrease in the time it is taking to sell a home
Active Properties (as of February 7, 2014): 1,242
- High $14,500,000, $2,589.80 per square foot
- Average $823,633, $224.49 per square foot
- Median $477,113, $176.95 per square foot
There were 1,242 single-family homes for sale within the city limits of Austin as of 2/7/2014, averaging 100 days on the market. This is a 12.84% decrease from the 1,425 single-family homes for sale on 2/7/2013.
Pending Properties (as of February 7, 2014): 1,065
- High $3,995,000, $824.82 per square foot
- Average $403,591, $178.24 per square foot
- Median $309,900, $151.28 per square foot
There were 1,065 houses pending sale in Austin as of 2/7/2014, averaging 49 days on the market. This is a 20.22% decrease compared to the 1,335 homes that were pending sale on 2/7/2013.
Month to Month Comparison
January 2014 Sold Homes
- Number of sold homes: 548
- High sold price: $2,850,000 ($510.20 per square foot)
- Average sold price: $346,059 ($164.23 per square foot)
- Median sold price: $267,000 ($140.73 per square foot)
January 2013 Sold Homes
- Number of sold homes: 555
- High sold price: $3,700,000 ($546.88 per square foot)
- Average sold price: $337,533 ($147.55 per square foot)
- Median sold price: $259,000 ($126.77 per square foot)
Year to Date 2014 (January 1, 2014 to February 7, 2014)
- 615 Sold Homes
- High: $2,850,000, with a sold per square footage price of $510.20
- Average: $347,761, with a sold per square footage price of $164.96
- Median $273,750, with a sold per square footage price of $141.02
Year to Date 2013 (January 1, 2013 to February 7, 2013)
- 658 Sold Homes
- High $3,700,000, with a sold per square footage price of $546.88
- Average $334,238, with a sold per square footage price of $145.71
- Median $255,750, with a sold per square footage price of $125.13
Interested in Austin’s real estate by the numbers? Check out Austin real estate statistics from recent months and Austin luxury home real estate statistics. And, remember our infographic with 2013 real estate by the numbers, broken down by MLS area.