Balcones Park Homes For Sale
The neighborhood boasts a peaceful atmosphere, with an abundance of trees and well-manicured lawns. Most homes sit on a large lot with plenty of space to enjoy the area’s natural beauty. Although the neighborhood was developed in the 1950s, several of the homes have been renovated to reflect a newer style. You’ll see older, 3-4 bedroom homes with updated interiors alongside larger homes that have been built within the last 20 years.
Along with beautiful views, residents will enjoy plenty of recreational opportunities just minutes from the neighborhood. The Mayfield Park Nature Preserve is on the southern edge of Balcones Park and is an ideal spot for hiking and enjoying the surroundings. The preserve is home to many colorful gardens, palm trees, and even peacocks that wander around.
The Bright Leaf State Natural Area is also in the neighborhood – it spans more than 200 acres and offers guided tours on the second Saturday and Sunday of the month. For even more hiking, Mount Bonnell is just steps away and offers views from what is said to be the highest spot in Austin. On a warm day, residents can also cool off by visiting Lake Austin – a great spot that’s known for kayaking and fishing.
The Austin Country Club, one of the oldest clubs in Texas, sits just two miles from Balcones Park. Members of the country club get exclusive access to the 18-hole course, 10 lighted tennis courts, a fitness facility, swimming pool, and more than 50 boat slips. There is also a clubhouse on-site, which has dining areas, meeting room facilities, and a large ballroom.
While enjoying a peaceful atmosphere away from downtown, those living in Balcones Park will still be just a short drive from everything they need. An H.E.B., Randall’s Food and Drug, and Central Market are all less than three miles away.
Students in the area are served by the Austin Independent School District. Depending on which part of the neighborhood they’re in, they can attend Casis or Highland Park Elementary, O’Henry or Lamar Middle School, and McCallum High School. Many private schools are also within minutes of the neighborhood including Ace Academy, Highland Park Baptist School, The Children’s School, St. Theresa’s Catholic School, and St. Andrew’s Episcopal School.
- Date Established: Early 1950s
- City: Austin
- Location Description: Located in west central Austin near Mount Bonnell, between Lake Austin and MoPac Expressway
- MLS Map Location areas: 1B
- Zip Codes: 78731
- Miles from Downtown: 6 miles
- Number of Homes: 215 homes
- Size range of homes per square foot: 1,934- 6,955
- Neighborhood amenities: Hike and bike trails, swimming pool, tennis courts, fishing, kayaking
- Neighborhood builders: Park Place Homes, Mark Canada, Walter Carrington, MEK Residential, Gray and Becker
- Situated in the west central region of Austin, the Balcones Park Neighborhood is on a hilltop that overlooks Mount Bonnell and the downtown skyline. It’s just west of Camp Mabry, giving residents an easy commute to downtown that’s only six miles away
View Listings by School
Fill out this form, let us know what you're looking for, and we'll have the agent best suited to work with you get in touch with you ASAP!