Should I Work with a REALTOR® to Purchase a New Construction Home?
Many buyers assume they will get a better deal working directly with a builder, without the services of a buyer representative REALTOR®. In fact, almost always the builder simply keeps the extra money that would have been paid in commission to the buyer representative. On top of that, the buyer is left with no actual representation during the process of construction and “closing the deal.” While builders’ representatives certainly can be professional and friendly, it’s important to know that, in the end, their job is to protect the builder – not the buyer.
This is why it is important to have someone on your side, whether you are looking at a large-scale subdivision development or a custom home construction project on your own piece of land.
Reasons to Use the Services of a REALTOR® for a New Construction Home Purchase
- A REALTOR® can share her/his general knowledge about neighborhoods and builders and their reputation within the real estate community, which can protect your longer-term investment.
- A REALTOR® can share specific knowledge about sold properties, pricing, and comparable home prices.
- Using a REALTOR® is the only way you have someone looking out specifically for your interests.
- A REALTOR® can negotiate on your behalf, potentially securing better terms, better timing, a smoother process, and/or more upgrades.
- Some of the more intricate details will be handled by a professional on your side – saving you time and worry.
- A buyer representative REALTOR® is free for you!
What Steps Should Buyers Take to Protect Their Interests?
- If you happen to visit a new construction subdivision, make it clear to the builder’s representative that you have a REALTOR®.
- Don’t sign anything without your REALTOR® present.
- It is by far better for your interests to conduct subdivision tours with your REALTOR® present.
If you are considering a new home construction project, see Brian Talley’s expert real estate qualifications. Talley was in the top .21 percent of REALTORS® representing buyers in the greater Austin area in 2011 and has dozens of testimonials from enthusiastic clients.